How to Start a Business as a Product Representative
Are you looking for a fast track to success as a manufacturer and product representative? Becoming independent may be just the tick for you.
If you like to sell and like to be on your own, going independent may be the best thing for a product representative, product broker, food broker, or general merchandise broker or representative.
- The typical product broker, product representative, and food broker represents on average eight to ten products that don’t compete with one another.
- Product brokers and representatives work inside and outside the United States and use a representative workforce that’s efficient and cost-effective.
Starting in the Field
NAGMR’s product representatives and product brokers say breaking into this field is not easy. It takes about two years to put together a stockpile of products to represent that will make a decent living.
- The potential earnings are good for independent product brokers, product representatives, food brokers, and general merchandise brokers, averaging about $150,000 a year income.
Day to Day Work
Many of the product representatives and product brokers in our group say they are doing much more than selling. This includes:
- Training their client companies on how to sell; offsetting a cost to their customers
- Conference calls with wholesalers’ sales staff on a regular basis
Finding Products to Represent
Finding products to represent as an OTC broker can be done by working trade shows where manufacturers and customers can be found together. Product representatives also use the internet to find products to represent.
Working with a group of merchandise representative like NAGMR can make your highest and most ambitious business goals attainable. NAGMR product brokers and product representatives can help you get your foot in the door of the highest volume retail giants.
We are all about increasing awareness, favorability, and purchase intent, in order to increase in-store visibility of your general merchandise. Let NAGMR’s directory of product brokers, product representatives, and food brokers, help brand, place, market, and SELL your products.
Click here to learn more about our group and to complete our membership application.